If you are Windows user and you often face an error message when you try to connect your Cisco VPN Client and it stats as;
“Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter.
Connection terminated on: Feb 6, 2013 19:56:04 Duration: 0 day(s), 00:00.00”
In Windows XP, sometimes 'remove and reinstall' was a great solution but in Windows 7 there is a technique that works because this problem is not associated with Cisco VPN client Software. If you face exactly same below message then below solution will surely work;
- Hit the start button and type "services.msc' as shown:
- Locate and stop Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service;
- Stop and disable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service;
- Restart Cisco System, Inc. VPN Service.
- Launch the Cisco VPN Client again, and the problem is now gone!
Open regedit, and navigate to
Change DisplayName data property, cut it off before the semicolon value (the value may vary in some cases oem6.inf):
- For x86, change the value data from “@oem6.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to “Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”
- For x64, change the value data from “@oem6.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to “Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”
Update : If you are still experience this issue please update your client as this is fixed in later release.