Mostly we have seen this error with email attachments, when a user gets an email in his / her inbox having, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel or Microsoft PowerPoint file in some older version. This error is not Microsoft Office bug, as so many blogs says but it is your security settings that are preventing Internet E-mail attachments to being opened at your computer. Secondly, this error comes to Lucky person J not everyone gets this error.
Open your Microsoft Word 2010, Microsoft Excel 2010 or Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 and try as under;
1. Open Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint 2010.
2. Click on File > Options.
3. Select Trust Center > Trust center settings.
4. Select Protected view.
5. Uncheck “Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet” under Protected View > OK.
6. Restart Microsoft Word / Excel or PowerPoint 2010 and try to open document.
If you want to fix it permanent without any loosing, security feature, do the following:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Open Component Services and expand the tree under Console Root to Computers.
- Expand Computers to My Computer.
- Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
- Open the Default Properties tab and set the following values:
- Default Authentication Level: Connect
- Default Impersonation Level: Identify
- Excel: "The file is corrupted and cannot be opened."
- Word: "Word Experienced an error trying to open the file."
- PowerPoint: "PowerPoint found a problem with content in <filename>. PowerPoint can attempt to repair the presentation."